The Battle of the Technology giants
“The winner will be the company that gives the best user experience.” – Contributed by Oogle
Top of the line;
1) Apple has the best strategy as they control their OS tightly and developers that sell their apps at their marketplace, giving a “perfect” user experience, which gives tremendous premiums to their products.
2) Microsoft. Windows OS software is not perfect in controlling the user experience, as they leave their developers to develop their own applications without QC, and being a closed OS, nobody can perfectly write every software that perfectly intergrates with the windows OS, either Microsoft setup a marketplace to contain the user experience, or they need to vet every developer’s application to perfection.
3) Facebook. Photo-sharing is just another application, games are another, you need more than these applications to keep your users stick to your platform, have you done a search on how many are really active users, you may have a great user database with the purchase of Instagram, but your lead is only short-term, you really need to find the real need that will keep your active users to your platform. And that is improving the video upload experience to directly link to Youtube, with online payment the next highest potential.
4) Yahoo. A generic Internet global company but I really can not find their focus, the only advantage I can see is their links with ecommerce giant Alibaba, which they have not capitalised at all, they need a proper vision to know where they are heading, there will be great changes within the next 5 years, if you are not careful, you will follow the footsteps of AOL. Your core strength is the chinese market, which you did not capitalised, by intergrating with Alibaba and other chinese internet companies like Tencent, Weibo etc, you would have consolidated your position in asia, and ensure your survival for the next 5-10 years. The ability to do translation between your users will give you an advantage nobody has, imagine the market of chinese users and english users for everything eg email, chat, video etc since you are already in china. Do not compete by offering the same products like Yahoo Messenger, where your database can never compete with Tencent, it is more strategic to work with partners who has a ready market. You can never be a jack of all trades, because you will be the master of none.
5) Google. I think it is a great company, it has diversified into revenue streams that will ensure it’s lead in the coming years, from search, andriod OS, chrome browser to a self driven car, technologies that will help it stay ahead, the trick is to invest in your highest potential, to get the maximum ROI.
– Contributed by Oogle.